The LUKE Arm is Here!
We’re excited to announce the revolutionary LUKE Arm is now being fitted for qualified individuals. Why are we so excited? Let us count the ways:
- The LUKE (Life Under Kinetic Evolution) Arm uses specially developed state-of-the-art technology to quickly integrate with the user’s own body.
- The arm executes both fine and strength-based movements with an effectiveness and agility unseen of before.
- It features the unparalleled function and comfort of the equally ground-breaking High-Fidelity Interface by Randy Alley, CEO of biodesigns.
- It represents the result of an unprecedented 10 years’ long collaborative effort, including a key role by Next Step in the interface and fitting phase.
Invented by Dean Kamen and his company DEKA, the technologically innovative LUKE Arm has been refined through an exhaustive adaptive and testing process including extensive user testing by Next Step to customize the user interface to ensure comfortable and effective structural and functional integration. For our team, it truly has been an honor to play a role in the development of such a significant advance in prosthetics. We’re now looking forward to sharing the life-changing experience of using the LUKE Arm with its first users.
So, what is it like to use the LUKE Arm?
- Reaching up to pluck an apple from a tree.
- Confidently manipulating chopsticks to pick up small bites of food.
- Picking up and operating a heavy piece of equipment with ease, or
- Peeling a banana without bruising the fruit.
Now, imagine being able to do some of these things the very first time you put the arm on, all with a level of comfort and integration never realized before due to the sophisticated compression and release design of the High-Fidelity interface. Want to see it in action? Check out this video of the very first person we fit for the LUKE Arm.
Are you a good candidate for the LUKE Arm? Currently, the LUKE Arm is available for three levels of amputation:
- lower arm or trans-radial,
- mid-arm or trans-humeral, and
- shoulder disarticulation (this level does not use the High-Fidelity Interface)
If you are a veteran, the LUKE Arm is covered in many cases by the VA. Other candidates may have access to funding depending on their particular circumstances. As a preferred provider of the LUKE Arm, we would be happy to talk with you and answer any questions you may have on the arm and whether it is a good fit for your particular needs.
As one of the original development partners, Next Step has unique expertise in the fitting and use of the LUKE Arm. Our greatest pleasure is in helping our patients get their lives back. When you visit us, you’ll find both our people and facility to be warm and welcoming. To support our overall patient experience, we have built an experienced, patient-centered team to ensure the strongest, most supportive patient experience. One example of our approach is the customized physical and occupational therapy we offer our patients through our partnership with Catholic Medical Center.
Let us be your resource for questions on the LUKE Arm. It’s simple to request a consultation.